Wednesday, August 11, 2010

God’s Spy Within (#319 of 365+)

“The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk” (1 Timothy 1:5-6)


Paul told young Timothy it was important to continue instructing believers in the truth. It was crucial for the Church to keep from being deceived by the world, the flesh, and the devil if they were to have a chance at growing and maturing in the faith. Just like the Church today, they could get sidetracked by a popular speaker with a feel-good message who was really a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Timothy needed to keep his congregation’s thoughts anchored to “the goal” of love. If they were busy loving others and loving God they wouldn’t be so easily tempted to wander down the dangerous path of selfishness and gossip.

“A pure heart…”
The Message version calls it not being contaminated by “self-interest.”

“A good conscience…”
The Message version calls it “a life open to God.”

“A sincere faith…”
The Message version says it is not to be confused with a “counterfeit faith.”

Sanctification is the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in my heart and in my mind. I’ve noticed that I can sense his voice speaking with better clarity when I’m in the habit of getting still before God, praying, and meditating on his Word on a daily basis. However, when I begin to feel restless or distracted I know I’m being alerted to an internal problem. It’s my conscience—it’s like an indicator light that flashes a warning—because the Holy Spirit is pointing to an area of my life that I don’t want to look at.

Joni said, “The Puritans called the conscience ‘God’s spy within our bosoms’…” My conscience sometimes whispers but usually shouts the truth to my conscious mind. The last thing I ever want to do is act like I don’t hear it and go on my merry way as if everything’s fine. Why should I try to be anything but real to the One who knows me better than I know myself?! That would be a really stupid thing to do.

Lord, keep me from getting caught up with meaningless things and help me to live a life of truth and meaning. May I listen closely to your voice today. Keep my mind focused on the goal of love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna