Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Not in Vain (#318 of 365+)

“Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I
will be joyful in God my Savior” (Habakkuk 3:17-18

Happiness seems to depend a lot on circumstances. In a moment my outlook on the day can pivot from positive to negative. But joy, like love, is much more than just a feeling or a mood. It’s a deep sense of peace and satisfaction that resides in the soul. It comes from knowing the Savior in a real way.

Today’s Bible verses in my own words: “Though our church struggles financially and we’ve given what we could; Though my mother’s health gets worse, my sister is autistic, and my child is diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes; Though emergency needs rob our savings and we can’t pay off our debts as early as we wanted to…

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end
They are new every morning
New every morning
Great is thy faithfulness, O Lord
Great is thy faithfulness

I was reminded of this old song when I started thinking about the reasons I have to “rejoice in the Lord.” He is the same as he was yesterday and he will be tomorrow. I have the “blessed assurance” that he won’t change even if everything and everyone else in my life does. Like the widow who gave her last two cents, when I have nothing left I’ll be wealthy beyond measure because I’ll still have the Lord. He’ll never change his mind or abandon me.

Joni said don’t ever get down or quit when circumstances seem hopeless or there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. Hold on. God is faithful and he’s full of surprises!

Lord, thank you that I can be confident of your love and sovereignty when there are so many uncertainties in life. Help me to see clearly, solidify my faith, and increase my joy. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna