Wednesday, July 21, 2010

He Hideth My Soul (#298 of 365+)

“One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD… and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his
tabernacle and set me high upon a rock” (Psalm 27:4-5)

Joni talked about Fanny Crosby, a blind woman who wrote thousands of church hymns during the 19th century. Like any normal person—with or without a disability—she would sometimes experience really low emotional times due to her difficult circumstances. She found the best thing she could do to lift her spirits was “when she leaned on the Psalms” from the Bible.

Here are some lyrics from one of her Psalm-inspired hymns:

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life with the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.

When clothed in His brightness, transported I rise
To meet Him in clouds of the sky,
His perfect salvation, His wonderful love
I’ll shout with the millions on high.

Joni said God’s Word from the Psalms, or any other book of the Bible that was inspired by the Holy Spirit, is truly powerful and able to “stabilize” our shakiest moments. Even a song inspired by God’s Word will strengthen and encourage our faith. Our Lord is an immovable, unshakable Rock. He’s our point of reference when we’ve lost all sense of direction. He’s our covering when everything is crashing down around us.

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge” (Psalm 18:2)

Lord, you are my rock, my firm foundation, my shelter, and my salvation. Thank you for the Word which dispels all the lies I’m tempted to believe when I’m weak. Surround me with your strength and help me through this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna