Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reckless Words (#236 of 365+)

“Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing” (Proverbs 12:18)

I don’t think I’m very different from most people when I say this:
I need to think more before I speak. The Bible tells us to be wise and selective with the words we use because they’ll make the difference between life and death. But how can that be? I’m not the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. Could I really have that much power?

Apparently, the answer is yes…

“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit” (Proverbs 18:21)

As a Christian I have the honor of representing the Lord in everything I do… and say. I should be aware that all my conversations have the potential to make a lasting impact by helping or harming a human soul. Am I giving glory to my Savior or am I bringing down his reputation? Am I giving people a reason to believe or am I turning them off to faith? Who is speaking: my flesh or the Spirit of God? What kind of harvest could be reaped through these words I’m about to say?

“The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell” (James 3:6)

Lord, help me slow down and not rush ahead of your Spirit. Speak your words of life through me today. May someone who hears them receive the healing and encouragement they need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna