Friday, May 21, 2010

Sequoias (#237 of 365+)

“Stay here and keep watch with me” (Matthew 26:38)

Today Joni talked about the towering trees of Sequoia National Park and how surprisingly small their roots are for their
enormous size.

I found this quote about Sequoia sempervirens, commonly known as the coastal redwood: “Heavy rains and strong winds can bring even the biggest giant crashing to the ground. But the roots of individual redwoods frequently grow intertwined with those of their neighbors. By ‘holding hands’ underground, the roots form a network that allows the trees to withstand even great storms”
(http://savetrees.org/redwood2520primer.htm)

What a beautiful picture of what the Lord wants the church to do! Joni said as an individual I “might look strong” and “may seem independent” but I’m actually quite vulnerable on my own. I need to stand tall with the loving support of a body of believers. Without my husband, my local church, and Christian friends I’ll be much more likely to fall hard at the first sign of adversity.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing…And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone” (1 Thessalonians 5:11, 14)

Lord, may I not be a Lone Ranger today as I’m prone to being. Keep my family involved in our church and give us a bigger group of Christian friends we can rely on when the strong winds blow. Help us all to hold each other up as we cling to you for life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna