Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Anger’s Focus (#235 of 365+)

I had my devotional time this morning but I didn’t have a chance to write/edit/post until this evening after I got off work. Today has been a very long and exhausting day for me. My schedule was
chock full of extra activities and every one of them had to be completed today. I couldn’t reschedule anything. I was so busy that I barely had a chance to use the restroom or get something to drink. It was that bad.

To make matters worse, a few people let me down in a big way. The co-workers I needed to step up—as I had done for them in the past—didn’t step up. My employer is usually helpful but he has been unavailable this week. And one person who promised that he’d deliver something critical… broke his promise to me. I might have been able to deal with it better if I hadn’t trusted him so much that I’d also given my word to someone else. So, at best, an organization we have an important business relationship with thinks I’m totally inept. But I fear it’s much worse than that. They probably think I’m a liar now…

Needless to say, I got angry today.

Here’s where the irony comes in. Today’s devotional was about focusing my anger in the right direction. To take my thoughts, even in the midst of rage, and point them towards the correct target. When Joni was invited to say a prayer before a Nazi death camp memorial, she didn’t know what she could or “should” say. She just knew her stomach was turned inside-out with emotions about all the millions who had died horribly and without mercy. She based her prayer on the following verses:

“Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD, and abhor those who rise up against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies” (Psalm 139:21-22)

When I get angry, my anger needs to be focused at the enemies of God. But Nazis aren’t God’s enemies. Neither are war criminals or murderers. My co-workers surely aren’t anyone’s enemies. The Bible says sinners aren’t God’s enemies anymore since Jesus Christ died so we could be reconciled to God. So who are these enemies? The answer is Satan and the powers of darkness. They started the trouble way back in Eden. We’ve been having problems with evil and sin ever since.

They’re the ones I should purposefully focus my anger and resistance against. I need to remember Satan will use anything to distract me from the truth.

“I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven” (Luke 10:18)

Father, help me to love and forgive when others fail me. I’m just as much a sinner and have as many shortcomings as anyone else. People are never the source of evil and sin. It’s only when we’re distracted by the lies of Satan that everything in our world gets turned upside down. May I always believe what you say. Help me when I stumble. Thank you for sending your Son and redeeming my soul. I look forward to the day when you redeem all of creation and set everything right again. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna