Monday, May 3, 2010

First Response (#219 of 365+)

Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter to the church:

“Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, to all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now… Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ” (Philippians 1:1-5, 12-13)

Prison back then was nothing like the human-rights sanctuary it is today. It was a very uncomfortable and unpleasant place to be. Many prisoners died because of the terrible conditions. However, the apostle didn’t dwell on the negative. Being an example to the believers who were praying for him, his first response was to express thanks. He talked about all the good things the Lord was accomplishing through the experience. He told the church they were all in this together like partners. He wasn’t going to drag them down with complaints. It was crucial that they remain full of hope and joy so the gospel would continue to advance.

“I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace” (Acts 20:24)

Father, thank you for another year of life. Help me to remain positive so I see your hands at work whenever there are obstacles and interruptions. Bless my family and home with your love, joy, and peace. May we serve you well by being good stewards of all your gifts. Advance the gospel through our lives. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna