Sunday, April 11, 2010

Touches of Home (#197 of 365+)

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands” (Psalm 19:1)

A favorite memory from my childhood is a summer road trip
through East Texas to see my father’s side of the family. I remember spotting miles and miles of Texas bluebonnets growing wild by the side of the road. My father told me he thought it was illegal to pick the state flower of Texas so he never stopped the car to let me do so. I think back on that now and believe that was very wise of him. It would have been a real disappointment to gather a bunch of those majestic blue wildflowers only to watch them wither away in the dry heat of our station wagon.

The West Texas desert isn’t exactly my idea of beautiful surroundings. I’d rather live in a forest or near a lake or the ocean. But for the next few years my family and I will be living in a town where xeriscaping is the big idea. Homes here are more likely to have rocks and cactus rather than grass and trees. It can be very costly to maintain a yard with trees, grass, and flowers. The water bill alone would be sky high.

That’s why I appreciate it whenever I see some greenery or a splash of color around here. Just yesterday I admired the beautiful golden flowers of a desert weed I have yet to identify. A few days ago I excitedly pointed out to my husband that clover (one of my favorite plants) had mysteriously started growing near the front door. Recently our neighborhood grocery store started displaying potted plants and flowers out on the sidewalk. I can’t help doing a double-take whenever I pass daisies of any color.

Joni said: “Nature is only a name for an effect. And the cause is God… Bring something into your home or office today that reminds you of his creative touch… Let these God-breathed, God-caused touches remind you of your real home.”

Lord, thank you that even in the hot and dusty desert you show me glimpses of your glory and remind me that you're preparing a place for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna