Monday, April 12, 2010

Taking Care of Mom (#198 of 365+)

“What I'm interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own
families. Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once. Your righteousness will pave your way. The God of glory will secure your passage” (Isaiah 58:7-8 MSG)

The Bible cites numerous times that God addresses the way we should respond to those in need. Jesus’ parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10), and the many verses about helping widows and orphans (James 1:27) are just a couple of examples. God also takes a very special interest in the way we take care of our own relatives:

The Wife of Noble Character (Proverbs 31:10-31).

Men shouldn’t become leaders in the church if they can’t lead at home (1 Timothy 3:12).

Ruth stayed with her mother-in-law Naomi even though she wasn’t obligated to after her husband died (Ruth 1:16-17).

Jesus made sure John would take care of his widowed mother after he died (John 19:26-27).

And, of course, today’s devotional verses…

Joni shared some fond memories from one of her mother’s last extended visits before going home to be with the Lord. Her mother helped her with physical tasks, while Joni was able to help in return by being her mother’s eyes and sometimes even her mind. My mother lives in another part of the city, so I see her about once a week. She will turn 71 this year, and she has some health issues and back problems. She never learned to read English and she can barely sign her own name. She’s the full-time caregiver for my older sister who has autism. I help mom to read her mail, write checks to pay her bills, and do other tasks that she can’t do for herself. I encourage her to do what she can on her own but I anticipate in the next few years she will need a lot more assistance with simple things like cleaning and cooking. She might even require someone else to drive her and my sister to their appointments or for errands.

On some days my mother and I, or my sister and I, can drive each other crazy! That’s when the Lord gently reminds me to forgive as I’ve been forgiven. It isn’t always easy—I still struggle with the flesh every day—but the Spirit usually gets his way as he softens my heart towards them. I eventually yield and put their needs before my own.

Lord, you know how tired I get and how I’m often tempted to put my own needs first. Grant me the health and endurance to continue serving all the members of my family. I know how important that is to you. Fill my heart full of your love so this will be a beautiful experience for both the giver and the receiver. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna