Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Contemplations of the King (#199 of 365+)

“We make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it” (2 Corinthians 5:9)

There are days so difficult and painful that Joni longs for heaven.
I’ve had days like those, too. It isn’t a suicide wish—I’m happy to live out the rest of my preordained days on this earth—but it’s a kind of homesickness. It must be the same feeling a soldier has when he has seen too many brothers die, he’s thousands of miles from home, and it’s Christmas Eve. He just wants to hug his family. It’s that kind of feeling…

The apostle Paul pointed out it isn’t the “where” that matters. Whether we’re here or we’re there, what matters is the “who”—the Lord Jesus Christ. Justification and sanctification aside, one day every believer will have to answer to him for everything we did with our time on earth. One day I will face King Jesus just as real as seeing my boss at tomorrow’s meeting or my pastor at church next Sunday. In the meanwhile, I must learn to live as if I’m standing in front of him right now. Because, if I really think about it, I am…

Lord, what do you want me to do today?

“We live by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7)

I constantly see comical depictions of Jesus Christ in the media: in cartoons, movies, comic strips, etc. He always has the signature long hair and beard, and the white robe and sandals… and he’s usually very laid-back. But he’s so much more than just a regular Joe with a few special skills and a knack for making friends. Three of the disciples received quite a shock when they saw the Jesus they thought they knew literally glowing from head to toe on the Mount of Transfiguration. They caught a mere glimpse of his true identity as the Mighty One, the ruler over everything! Today Joni encouraged her readers to ponder the truths in the following verses, and start looking forward to the “Day of Christ” when we will see him as he truly is:

“I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone ‘like a son of man,’ dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades’” (Revelation 1:12-18)

“I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter.’ He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Revelation 19:11-16)

Lord, I look forward to that glorious day when your power and majesty will be displayed for the entire world to see. Help me to live in expectation of that day every day of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna