Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Take Heed (#207 of 365+)

“If you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!” (1 Corinthians 10:12)

Abraham, David, Elijah, Lot, Noah… people who were recognized
for having great faith. What we usually don’t mention in children’s Bible classes is how these men had great big flaws, too. Every single person in Jesus Christ’s lineage was a sinner with a capital S. In the long line of ancestors you’ll find liars, adulterers, murderers, and drunkards. Some contemplated suicide or even committed incest. Not exactly the kind of person you want to hang out with, huh?

“Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger in the dirt. They kept at him, badgering him. He straightened up and said, ‘The sinless one among you, go first: Throw the stone.’ Bending down again, he wrote some more in the dirt” (John 8:7)

Joni made the surprising statement that sin is not “out of character” for any of us. In fact, according to the Bible and my own personal experience, quite the opposite is true (Romans 7:13). The Bible constantly warns through real-life examples that a person who seems to have it all together one moment can and probably will give in to evil the next if their heart is left unchecked (1 Corinthians 10:6-11). Sure, the Lord is always able to fulfill his purpose for our lives no matter how badly we blow it. He can do anything. After all, he did some awesome things through those heroes of the Old Testament, didn’t he (like use their DNA to bring the Savior into the world)? But think about how much heartache and despair could have been avoided altogether if they’d only paused for a moment to think about the future consequences of their actions.

God created every one of us for relationship. Not just a relationship with him but also with each other. I’m not meant to be an island to myself for very long. I have to eventually return to the mainland because, no matter how much I love quietness and solitude, life isn’t all about me. I have a higher calling. I work for God’s kingdom. Everything I do or don’t do can and will have an effect on someone else. Do I want to have a positive or a negative effect? Or should I ask: Will it be Christ in me or sin in me that influences that person’s soul for today and for eternity?

Lord, help me slow down and take a long look in the mirror and remember who I really am. Be glorified in me today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna