Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Real Me (#206 of 365+)

When it comes to self-examination I think we’re all a little biased. I don’t have the same perspective of myself as others have of me. I don’t know what it’s like to be on the receiving end of the looks I
give or the tones I use. On most days I think I’m doing just fine when in actuality I’ve offended someone or behaved selfishly.

Joni said sometimes when she experiences episodes of physical pain she won’t pray or read the Bible. Even though doing that has brought her comfort time after time she’ll resist and rebel against God who is in control of the situation. She says the reason for behaving that way is because “suffering strips off that veneer and shows us our true colors.” As unbelievable as it might be, that sinful person is the real Joni.

And a sinful person is exactly who I am, too. Thank God for grace!

Yesterday the Holy Spirit reminded me of a girl I knew back in high school. She wasn’t a believer but she was my friend so she went to a couple of church events with me. She seemed to be on the verge of accepting Christ when one evening some horseplay got out of hand and a teenage boy at church pushed her down into her chair. What that boy didn’t know was that my friend came from an abusive background. Her stepfather was a real jerk and her mother always seemed to be making excuses for him. My friend was very easy to get along with but when it came to boys or men she would cut off all ties at the first hint of a character flaw.

She told me she didn’t want to ever have anything more to do with our youth group and she never returned to church again. Her opinion of Jesus Christ became blemished because of that one bad experience with one person who claimed to be a born-again Christian. She wouldn’t even accept his apology.

Today’s devotional verse is: “Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time” (Hebrews 12:15 MSG). Even though in God’s eyes sin has been taken care of through Christ’s shed blood, believers must continue to be aware of sin in our lives and our witness in front of people who haven’t experienced God’s grace yet. They might judge the Lord or the gospel by the way we live and, just like my friend, we might turn them off to both.

Lord, help me to never offend anyone in such a way that he or she would turn away from you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna