Thursday, April 22, 2010

Devotion Distractions (#208 of 365+)

“Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame” (Isaiah 50:7)


This is devotion #208 since I started blogging my daily devotional notes in September. On most days I was able to edit and post this blog by noon but there were a few days when I didn’t even open up Joni’s devotional book until sometime during the afternoon. The reasons for the delay were usually the same: I woke up late, there was a family issue or emergency, or my employer wanted me to get to the office early that day. Even on the days when I stuck with the schedule, sometimes I just didn’t feel like praying or I couldn’t concentrate because I had something else on my mind. Sometimes my husband, my son, one of our dogs (or the black cat that kept making an eerie appearance on our back porch at the most inopportune times) would divert my attention elsewhere for a moment and I’d lose my place.

Everyday distractions will happen, but when they all seem to converge on the very moment I’m in pursuit of godly things Joni says it almost seems “devilishly disrupting.” Here are a few things I can do to put out that “do not disturb” sign if I’m really serious about my alone time with the Lord:

Problem...             Solution!
My phone rings… Turn off the phone prior to beginning!
My family walks in… Lock myself in a separate room!
I wake up too late… Go to bed early or get a new alarm!

When it comes to Bible reading and prayer only the Holy Spirit can make it a special event. But I’m expected to “set my face like flint,” to stubbornly do my part to protect the block of time I’ve set aside to meet with the Lord. If I cherish our daily appointment I’ll rid every morning of any possible distraction or diversion.

Lord, I feel terrible that I often protect my “me” time more than I protect the time I spend alone with you. Help me to do better from now on and show me other areas of my life where my priorities are all mixed up. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna