Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rich in Faith (#215 of 365+)

“Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?” (James 2:5)


Joni talked about a recent trip to Cuba where she and her team met a fourteen-year-old girl named Isis. She had brittle bone disease and rode around in an old wheelchair with flat tires. Much to their surprise, she seemed to brighten more when they presented her with a Spanish Bible than when they gave her a brand new wheelchair!

Like James said, the poor are “rich in faith.” Perhaps it’s because they’re not distracted by things—since they don’t have anything. They don’t fear bankruptcy, repossession, foreclosure, etc. They don’t get caught up in the frenzy of working themselves to death to sustain the lifestyle they’ve become accustomed to. God is all they have so they put all their faith in him. He is their treasure and their inheritance.

“For I delight in your commands because I love them” (Psalm 119:47)

What do I delight in? What do I love? If I was asked that question today, being completely honest, God’s word wouldn’t be in my top-ten list of answers. My mind has been so engaged in purchasing a house and making it a home that I’d probably say “I delight in” or “love” fresh new linens and bath accessories… a new washer and dryer… a table with place settings and a centerpiece… a fireplace with a decorated mantle… You get the idea.

Lord, thank you for every spiritual blessing. Fill our home with your love, joy, and peace. May we keep in step with your Spirit instead of trying to keep up with the Joneses. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna