Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Hypocrites! (#193 of 365+)

“You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye” (Matthew 7:5)


Today Joni shared John Wesley’s Test for Self-Evaluation:

“Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I’m a better person than I really am? Do I laugh at the mistakes of others, reveling in their errors and misfortunes? Do I insist on having my own way? Is there a tendency for me to put others down so that I’ll be thought of more highly? Do I pass on to others what is told to me in confidence? Am I thoughtful in expressing thanks to people for what they’ve done for me, no matter how insignificant it seems? Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits? Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying? Did the Bible live in me yesterday? And is it living in me today? Did I disobey God in anything yesterday? Did I insist on doing something about which my conscious was uneasy? Did I handle discouragement well or did I have to be coddled? Am I enjoying prayer? When did I last speak to someone about Christ? Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize or hold resentment toward? If so, what am I doing about it?”

“Is Christ real to me?”

Just reading the test has made me yearn for some quality prayer time with the Lord. If it had been for a grade I would have failed! I think that’s probably true for everyone. Thank God for his mercy and grace!

I am by nature a sensitive individual. What can be a strength can sometimes become a crippling weakness. For example, I tend to collect hurts and offenses in my heart like a cartoon character might sweep dust under a rug until there’s an enormous bulge in the center of it. Purposefully asking myself probing questions before prayer time will be a great way to expose any grievances I might have tucked away so I can get on the same page with the Holy Spirit.

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13)

Lord, thank you for bringing my soul to life by your Holy Spirit. Make me more loving, gracious, and forgiving every day. I can't do it without you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna