Thursday, April 8, 2010

Don’t Watch the Wall (#194 of 365+)

“‘Come,’ he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. ‘You of little faith,’ he said, ‘why did you doubt?’” (Matthew 14:29-31)

This morning Joni talked about NASCAR and how untold numbers of race car drivers have crashed into that wall. If a driver looks at the wall while he’s driving it will mess with his psyche and he’ll practically be doomed to crash into it too. He has to purposefully keep his eyes fixed on the open space he’s driving into—away from the wall—if he wants to have a chance at winning the race.

In much the same way, Peter had the once-in-a-lifetime chance to walk on water. But he started looking at the wind and the storm around him instead of keeping his eyes on Jesus… and he sank.

In my life there are countless opportunities to do great things. Maybe I won’t ever be asked to win a race or walk on water but the Lord still wants me to shine this little light of mine for his kingdom. I’ll fail if I focus on obstacles as I have the tendency to do instead of the keeping my eyes on the prize (Philippians 3:14).

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2)

When I heard Amy Grant sing Better Than A Hallelujah the song really spoke to me. It reminded me of how the Lord loves us so much. He’s worthy of all praise and worship yet he desires brokenness, sincere prayers, and our total reliance upon him much more than mere lip service.

God loves a lullaby
In a mother’s tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes
God loves the drunkard’s cry
The soldier’s plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

The woman holding on for life
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what's been done
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes

Better than a church bell ringing
Better than a choir singing out, singing out

Lord, thank you for loving me. You know how much I need you every day. Fill all the areas where I'm lacking. Give me courage to do things that bring glory to your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna