Sunday, April 25, 2010

He Is Your Shield (#211 of 365+)

“The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you… Blessed are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the
LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword” (Deuteronomy 33:27, 29)

God is good, full of love, and all-powerful. So people often ask why a God like that would allow bad things to happen. But Joni reminds me how the Lord has been “constantly protecting” and “relentlessly shielding” us ever since the Fall from the “wicked schemes” of the devil.

The Holy Spirit stands guard as a permanent sentry over me, shielding, defending, and driving away the enemy at the gate. As Deuteronomy says, he is my “shield and helper and glorious sword.” He is the living armor of God the apostle described in Ephesians Chapter 6 who fully equips me with the following: truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, the word of God, and the power of prayer.

“And now you know what is holding [the evil one] back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way” (Thessalonians 2:6-7)

Joni further explains even with all the protection God offers sometimes he’ll allow pain to enter into my life—if it fits into his ultimate plan and purpose. When that happens I need to trust his love for me and know by his Spirit I’ll be able to withstand whatever the world, the flesh, or the devil throws at me. I shouldn’t neglect even a single morning of preparation through prayer and Bible reading because that would be like going out without “putting on the armor.” And that would be dumb.

Lord, I rest in your arms and take refuge in your strength. I’m so grateful that you’re the One who fights my battles—and not me! May I learn to rely on you in this way every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna