Monday, March 15, 2010

Praying the Word (#170 of 365+)

When the occasion calls for presenting thoughts in the best possible packaging, you might search for hours or days for the right words. You’ll start borrowing ideas from a mentor, quoting
someone famous, or maybe even asking a better wordsmith to help you.

Some U.S. Presidents lean on their speechwriters more than others. Every one, both presidents and speechwriters alike, has gleaned from another person’s thoughts at some point during the creative process. It often takes several weeks, a team of advisors, and reams of paper to complete the final draft of a State of the Union speech or an address to the United Nations. The ultimate purpose for all that work is to achieve a desired result (i.e. build up a nation, prevent a war).

Everyone knows the slogan: “When you care enough to send the very best.” Hallmark Cards corporate website says their purpose is to “[help] people connect with one another and give voice to their feelings.” Try standing around in the greeting card aisle during the next Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day rush. Men who make shopping look like a tactical maneuver will actually slow down to find a card with the perfect polished sentiment. The purpose for being so selective? Again, to achieve a desired result (i.e. “to see her smile”).

“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:10-11)

I can think of several examples of how spoken or written words have helped or hindered me personally. Yet I have never discovered anything as effective as God’s Word. I know I’m biased in this matter but I insist the Bible is unlike any other work of literature because it was inspired by God. Joni said this becomes evident when she quotes the Word during prayer. I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes when I pray aloud I’ll say words from worship songs or verses of scripture. It isn’t pre-meditated, calculated, or formulaic… it just bubbles to the surface. When I pray the Word in this way, my Spirit-inspired prayer becomes fervent, powerful (James 5:16) and full of life (Hebrews 4:12). And it achieves the desired result (i.e. facilitates intimacy or communion with the Lord).

Lord, as Peter said, “To whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.” May I always treasure your Word and never take it for granted. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna