Sunday, March 14, 2010

Godly Questions (#169 of 365+)

“Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger
withheld his compassion?” (Psalm 77:7-9)

Sometimes things can happen that just don’t make any sense. I may struggle with the same questions the Psalmist did. I may ask myself, “Why is God doing this?”

The worst thing to do in that situation is to seek counsel from everybody and his brother. For example: First I’d ask my husband what he thinks God is doing. Then I’d visit my mother and we’d talk about it some more. On Sunday I’d ask friends from church to pray about it and call me later to tell me what they thought. By that evening I’d email a few Christian friends I haven’t talked to in years and maybe even locate some others through Facebook (like that couple who were once Haitian missionaries but finally retired and now live in Florida). Come Monday morning and I’d have CC’d everyone on my contact list for good measure!

Joni said the best thing to do with those “gut-wrenching questions” is to take them to the Wonderful Counselor (Isaiah 9:6). There is absolutely nothing disrespectful about confronting the Lord. In fact, the heartfelt kind of prayer honors him the most because I’m earnestly looking to him—and not someone or something else—for the answers.

“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18)

When I take the direct approach and wait for God’s answer he never disappoints. I’ve done it many times. He either stirs my heart, shows me a scripture, or makes his presence known to me in other ways. Whatever he chooses to do, I’m always completely taken by surprise. That the God of the universe would reach out of eternity into that very moment to answer my cry… It’s a miracle. And what is also miraculous is what happens to all those questions and all the frustrations I had. They’ve suddenly become insignificant. That’s what happens to everything else when a person has an encounter with the Living Lord.

Lord, nothing in this world can compete with the peace you give. Thank you for responding to me, comforting me, and calling me your child. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna