Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One Thing at a Time (#171 of 365+)

I have too many things on my mind this morning! We’re short-handed at the office, my workload has increased, and there aren’t enough hours in the day to accomplish everything. The
devotional Joni wrote for today is exactly what I need right now. Citing an example from personal experience, Joni reminded her readers that rushing around frantically doesn’t actually accomplish anything more.

As crazy as it may sound while I look at my lengthy to-do list, I know deep down inside that my focus shouldn’t be on checking off as many items as I can as fast as I can. Instead, I should be concentrating on the following two areas:

Quality
Whatever I set out to do, I should do a great job.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Pace
Whatever I set out to do, I should slow down first and ask for the Spirit’s help.

“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5:25)

I’m not a missionary or a ministry leader but that doesn’t change the fact that God calls every Christian to kingdom work from his or her assigned station in life. Peter said we’re all “chosen for the high calling of priestly work” (1 Peter 2:9 MSG). Since I represent Jesus Christ to the world, I need to keep my testimony pure and communicate the gospel of God’s saving grace that is available for all who believe. Whatever I set out to do at the office or elsewhere today, no matter how insignificant I might think it is, I need to remember that it’s all for him and by him. I’m only the sanctified vessel, his chosen instrument. God is going to do some great work through me today!

Lord, help me to accomplish your will today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna