Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Hard Path to Joy (#164 of 365+)

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:2-3)

How appropriate these verses are for me this week! Without going into too much detail, I let myself get disheartened by pressure and opposition. But Joni’s words snapped me back into reality:
“Christians have no reason to be miserable or pessimistic. There is no room for gloom and doom when you’re a believer”. Jesus endured all that suffering and shame for the Father and for us. He was able to look past the pain and see indescribable joy on the other side. “Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart”…
“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men”…
“Consider him who endured such opposition”…
“Consider him who endured”…

“Consider him”…

Listening to and singing along with worship music is one of the best ways I know of to lift my eyes back up to Jesus. I’m reminded of a not-so-blue-haired country church pianist I once knew whose arthritis stopped her lifelong ministry in its tracks. But she didn’t skip a beat (forgive the pun). She remained bright and cheerful, and continued to rely on the Lord for the rest of her life. This was one of her favorite hymns:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

“Consider him”…

Keith Green’s anointed music ministry was interrupted when his plane crashed in 1982. But it didn’t stop his lyrics and tunes from influencing and shaping my early days of worship:

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me just to live it Lord.
And when I'm doing well help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

“Consider him”…

When Rich Mullins went home to Heaven too early his lyrics rang truer than ever:

Sometimes I think of Abraham
How one star he saw had been lit for me
He was a stranger in this land
And I am that, no less than he
And on this road to righteousness
Sometimes the climb can be so steep
I may falter in my steps
But never beyond Your reach

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

On a hard path to joy the best thing to do is sing to the Lord… and consider him.

O Lord, you're beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna