Monday, March 8, 2010

Jesus, Our Life and Breath (#163 of 365+)

“He is not far from each one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being’” (Acts 17:27-28)

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I
in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5)

Lyrics to “The Motions”
Matthew West

No regrets, not this time/I’m gonna let my heart defeat my mind/Let Your love make me whole/I think I’m finally feeling something/‘Cause just okay is not enough/Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don’t wanna go through the motions/I don’t wanna go one more day/Without Your all consuming passion inside of me/I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking/What if I had given everything/Instead of going through the motions?

Take me all the way/(Take me all the way)/Take me all the way/‘Cause I don’t wanna go through the motions

There is a term called “walking in the flesh”, which is when a Christian continues to live and do works without being conscious of the life-giving presence of the Holy Spirit. It makes being a Christian monotonous. According to Joni signs of walking in the flesh include:

-prayers become dull
-witnessing becomes dry
-a job becomes routine
-relationships sag under the weight of selfishness
-my relationship with the Lord turns into a chore

“Count yourselves… alive to God in Christ Jesus” (Romans 6:11)

I should daily examine my walk, take inventory of what’s in my heart, and remember that God is my very life and breath. He isn’t a little wooden god that I carry around on my keychain. He’s the Living God of the universe who wants to commune with me on a daily basis! When I respond to his presence day by day, moment by moment, this is called walking in the Spirit. It’s crucial to living the wonderful, amazing, mind-blowing life he wants me to live.

As Joni said, “Nothing is more mechanical than when we attempt to live a supernatural life apart from God”.

Lord, ignite your fire in me today... Help me live this week with gusto, to the fullest, in the power of your Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna