Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gray-Haired Splendor (#185 of 365+)

“Gray hair [is] the splendor of the old” (Proverbs 20:29)

Joni’s ninety-year-young “bright, sprightly, and dapper” Englishman friend, Ernest Barkaway, wrote the following poem
before he crossed over into eternity:

They say that I am growing old; I’ve heard them say times untold,
In language plain and bold—but I am not growing old.
This frail old shell in which I dwell is growing old, I know full well!
But I am not the shell.
What if my hair is turning gray; gray hairs are honorable they say.
What if my eyesight’s growing dim; I still can see to follow Him
Who sacrificed His life for me—upon the Cross at Calvary!

Why should I care if time’s old plough has left its furrows on my brow?
Another house, not made with hands awaits me in the Glory Land.
What though I falter in my walk and though my tongue refuse to talk?
I still can tread the narrow way; I still can watch and praise and pray!
The robe of flesh I’ll drop and rise to seize the everlasting prize.
I’ll meet you on the streets of gold and prove I am NOT growing old.

“Our citizenship is in heaven… We eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body” (Philippians 3:20-21)

“Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands” (2 Corinthians 5:1)

Father, as Joni prayed help your Church find new ways to “ascribe dignity and show respect to the elderly people” in our communities. By your Spirit may your love flow through us as we help those who face struggles and trials. Give us eyes to see their hidden needs. Make us remember those who have been forgotten about. May we impact our culture for your kingdom in this way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna