Monday, March 29, 2010

Spit (#184 of 365+)

“Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, ‘Prophesy!’ And the guards took him and beat him” (Mark 14:65)


Joni’s friend Glenda was severely abused as a child by her father. She’ll never forget the day he spit on her face. For years she bitterly fantasized about getting even with him and spitting back into his face. When she learned that people had actually spit on the Lord Jesus Christ, and yet he willingly bore all their sins on the cross, it softened her heart towards the gospel.

“God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8)

Glenda realized for the first time that her thoughts were just as sinful as her father’s actions had been. It was as if she herself had spit and beat on Jesus’ face. She accepted God’s gift of grace and it changed her heart. She was finally able to forgive her father.

Joni encouraged her readers: “If there is a hint of bitterness in your heart toward anyone, think on Jesus. He bore that bitterness.”

Lord, you know about my hurts and the residue of bitterness from my childhood that’s still in my heart. If I start to get caught up in my own pain again help me to think instead about your love for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna