Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Treasures in the Darkness (#136 of 365+)

“He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him” (Daniel 2:22)

My husband and I recently enjoyed watching another post-
apocalyptic movie. The protagonist was a virtuous and godly man who was sent on a mission from God. He maintained a humble spirit even though he was an excellent combatant, archer, and marksman. As the story progressed it became increasingly apparent that God’s hand of protection surrounded him. When someone asked what his destination was he replied he didn’t know because he walked by faith not by sight. How true that was for, at the end, we were surprised to learn the man had been blind for the entire movie.

“I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name” (Isaiah 45:3)

Joni spoke admiringly of David, her quadriplegic friend who “lives on the edge” every day. His attendant is only part-time so he’s on his own for most of every day and evening. Well, not all alone because he’s a believer in Jesus Christ. At supper time he usually powers his wheelchair over to a nearby restaurant. He has an apparatus that aids him in feeding but he just needs an able person to help him get started by putting the food into his hand. Although Joni didn’t mention it, I imagine he requires assistance with many other things like opening doors and getting the money out of his wallet. Instead of staying at home and succumbing to a feeling of hopelessness he transfers his dependency to God who, without fail, puts kind people into his path. David seems to thrive on stepping out in faith in this way. By relying on the God of the impossible he has come to know that all things are possible for those who trust in him.

“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,’ even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you” (Psalm 139:7-12)

The blind man in the movie and Joni’s friend both put their faith in the Lord and found light during dark times and a sense of peace in the midst of desperation. The irony is they never would have discovered this great treasure, a deeper relationship with their Savior, if they hadn’t plumbed into the abyss of despair or faced mountains of hardship. As a result they found that an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus is the most valuable thing a person could possess. As Joni said, “Oh, how wealthy are the people who need God desperately, whose treasure in the darkness is a deeper knowledge of him”.

Lord, you are my everything. Help me to stop flailing around so much and learn to trust in you. Thank you for stories like Joni’s and David’s. May my personal story also become an illustration in how to live by faith and not by sight. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna