Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do What Love Says (#137 of 365+)

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and there are reminders of love everywhere I look. That is, the world’s idea of love which is based on emotions. In other words, when I “feel”
euphoric I’m “in love”—and when I don’t feel that way I’ve “fallen out of love” with the other person. Judging from the comparably high divorce rates within the Christian community it appears those who profess to know the God of love have really missed its true meaning.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23)

Joni noted many Bible translations put a colon after the word love in that verse to indicate the terms that follow (joy, peace, etc) are characteristics of love. Today’s marketing messages shout to us that we must be diligent about maintaining romantic feelings if we’re to keep love “alive”. I’m not against romancing the one you love, in fact I think romance is important in marriage, but God’s kind of love is much more than a fleeting mood or desire. It’s a companion whose character is consistent and steadfast.

“Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn't force itself on others, isn't always ‘me first,’ doesn't fly off the handle, doesn't keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 MSG)

God has demonstrated for us the kind of love that doesn’t diminish over time. His love doesn’t change with circumstances, moods, or popular opinion. It isn’t withheld when it hasn’t been earned, and it doesn’t quit when it isn’t reciprocated. The definition of love is the sum of all of God’s qualities. I guess that’s why they say God is love. If I want to know how to love, the best way is to get close and personal with the God of love.

God is transforming me more and more into the image of Christ every day so I can live and love his way. That’s why Paul said love is the “fruit of the Spirit”. It flows from the wellspring of God’s life in me, but only if I cooperate with it. Otherwise James wouldn’t have said, “Do not merely listen to the word… Do what it says” (James 1:22, emphasis mine).

It's generally agreed that Valentine’s Day was named after a priest who continued to marry young lovers in secret even after the emperor decreed it unlawful for soldiers to get married. Saint Valentine’s stand for the sacred institution of marriage, and the God who established it, cost him his life. That’s the kind of love that should be celebrated on Valentine’s Day—love that causes me to put God and others before myself. That’s God’s kind of love.

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Father, thank you for loving the world so much you gave your only begotten Son so those who believe in you wouldn’t perish but have everlasting life. I'm so far away from being able to love like you do but I know you'll be faithful to complete the work you began in me. Fill my heart so full of your love and grace that it pours out of me in everything I say and do. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna