Thursday, February 11, 2010

Divine Stonework (#138 of 365+)

I looked up the topic persecution of Christians at wikipedia.com, the well-known free online global collaborative encyclopedia. The opening paragraph says: “Persecution of Christians is the religious
persecution of Christians as a consequence of professing their faith, both historically and in the current era”. The editor’s note posted just above it dated January 2010 ominously states: “This article may be too long to read and navigate comfortably”. No doubt.

Shuozhou is a city in the Shanxi province of China. Recently, six Shuozhou pastors were arrested and one home was destroyed by order of the Communist government because of illegal activity including unsanctioned gatherings and practice of the Christian religion. In response, members of their house church have issued a public Confession of Faith. In it, they took an admirable stand in defense of their doctrine, showed respect to the authorities, and claimed a deep love and concern for their country. They seem hopeful the government will consider changing its laws but recent history demonstrates the government’s zero tolerance policy towards any person or group that breaks its laws or dares to speak out against it. Persecution and torture of Christians in China will likely continue for some time.

“As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says: ‘See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame’” (1 Peter 2:4-6)

What has been happening to Christians in China is a common experience throughout the world today. Christians have been persecuted and martyred for the past 2,000 years and the Bible says it will continue to happen until the end. Although untold lives have been discarded as mere garbage, Joni said God sees and values every life. I can picture him placing each one into a memorial “wall of salvation” to remind me how God himself paid an extremely high price for my redemption and he demonstrated firsthand that “suffering is bad, but a soul lost is worse”.

“What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matthew 16:26)

Speaking from her own experience Joni said if I live with pain or persecution at any level I can take comfort that God knows, he will help me through, and he won’t let it be for nothing. He is always in control and whatever I endure is part of a greater plan. She said, “God [permits] something he hates… so that something he prizes (more souls salvaged) could be achieved”. Peter’s letter indicated nothing in the universe is more important to God as the salvation and sanctification of souls, and I’m privileged to be his “spiritual house” (the Holy Spirit resides in me) and a “holy priesthood” (I represent God to the world and should devote my life to him). Peter said everything I do in submission to the Spirit is a “spiritual sacrifice” acceptable to God (v.5) for which I'll never feel regret (v.6).

“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:20-21)

Lord, help me take advantage of this country’s current religious freedom by spreading and supporting the spread of the gospel. Prepare your Church for the day when that kind of activity will cost us our lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna