Monday, February 8, 2010

Be Engaged! (#135 of 365+)

“Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it
is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe” (Philippians 2:12-15)

People often misunderstand what Paul meant when he said “work out your salvation with fear and trembling”. He didn’t mean salvation is based upon performance, or that God’s free gift comes with strings attached. When you’re saved, you’re justified before God. Theologians call it positional salvation. All your sin has been wiped clean, you’ve been given the Holy Spirit, and you’re guaranteed eternal life in heaven. But, if you aren’t on your death bed or about to die in a car wreck in the next few seconds, God wants you to experience your salvation in 3D. It’s called experiential salvation. Salvation by the skin-of-your-teeth is adequate to gain eternal life, but why would you settle for “adequate” when you're going to live another twenty, forty, or sixty years on this planet? As Joni said, “God played the key role in my justification and I have the responsibility to play a key role in my sanctification”. Notice she doesn’t imply anyone could ever fall from God’s firm grasp but she communicates the importance of embracing one’s salvation with a sober attitude. With this in mind, Paul’s words of “fear and trembling” make more sense. You should be reverent (not casual or dismissive) of God’s grace and have a deep sense of respect for what your freedom cost the Lord Jesus.

Paul may have realized how “fear and trembling” might be misinterpreted because he immediately followed with, “for it is God who works in you”. So before the phrase “fear and trembling” he said, “work out your salvation” and after the phrase “fear and trembling” he said “for it is God who works in you”. “Work out your salvation... for it is God who works in you”. The sober attitude towards sanctification comes with the realization there are two parties at work: me, and the Holy Spirit. Being conscious of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit is the key to sanctification. Since my positional salvation took place twenty-four years ago the event could easily become a cloudy memory for me. Staying actively engaged, participating, and cooperating with the Holy Spirit through daily devotions and prayer keeps the significance of that day fresh in my mind. Like a marriage relationship, salvation begins on a special day (justification, or positional salvation) but requires continued dedication and work on both sides for the memories of love to remain fresh and alive (sanctification, or experiential salvation). And, like my marriage to my husband, my relationship with my Lord will become even more fulfilling as time goes on.

Almighty God, I live in awe and wonder of you. Thank you for loving and saving a soul like me. Help me “throw off the sin that so easily entangles” and embrace your gifts every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna