Sunday, February 7, 2010

God’s Gladness (#134 of 365+)

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete” (John 15:11)

Jesus told his disciples he wanted them to experience his kind of
joy. It wasn’t a fleeting feeling of happiness. It was a consistent sense of fullness or satisfaction—capable of getting them through the deepest kind of pain and sorrow. He was trying to prepare them for coming trials.

Joni said the Trinity “is full of love… joy and happiness spilling over. [God] swims in elation”. God, the Father and the Son, invites us to join in this joy through a saving relationship made possible by the Son. Once we’re saved we’ll still have our share of suffering in this world but the Holy Spirit will help us through it.

“In spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit” (1 Thessalonians 1:6)

The joy Jesus was referring to is the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.

“And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit” (Acts 13:52)

Lord, when I look to my circumstances as a source of joy I’ll almost always be disappointed. Help me keep my eyes on you. May I experience a fresh filling of  your joy today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna