Saturday, February 6, 2010

Believe the Lord (#133 of 365+)

“Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness” (Genesis 15:6)

When someone asks Ravi Zacharias, “If there is a God, why does
he allow evil to exist?” he first approaches the question from a logical standpoint. He says if there is evil then that means there must be good also. If there is good then there must be a moral law. And, if there is a moral law, then there must be a moral law giver. When the person accedes to his argument that there must be a moral law giver, then Ravi has an open door to sharing the gospel.

Although believing there is a moral lawgiver is a vital first step towards salvation, it is far from enough. As Joni said, “Believing in God does nothing more than qualify you to be a demon, for even demons believe that” (James 2:19). So believing in God isn’t how one obtains a guarantee of eternal life or a reward in the hereafter. Hundreds of religions believe in some god but Jesus Christ proclaimed, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). He made it crystal clear there was only one correct door to choose.

When God called Abram, he told him to pack up his things and leave everything and everyone he’d ever known his entire life. He didn’t even give him a destination or a time frame. He just said, “I will show you” (Genesis 12:1). That’s akin to saying, “Trust me.” Abraham became known as the father of our faith not because the Messiah would descend from his lineage but because he believed God. He knew God, he knew his character, and that he could be trusted. He took him at his word, and then demonstrated his faith with action. Abram packed up and left.

So what does one do when Jesus Christ says, “I am the way”? That’s also akin to saying, “Trust me.” It isn’t sufficient to believe he was a special man who once walked the earth. It isn’t even enough to believe his claims. To believe Jesus means I put my trust in him. This kind of belief requires action. If I choose a door I don’t simply wait outside… I walk through it.

“No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)

Lord, although I have already trusted you for salvation help me to grow in the faith. I believe you are Jehovah-Rohi, my Shepherd, and Jehovah-Jireh, my Provider. I trust you with my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna