Friday, February 5, 2010

A Comforting Verse (#132 of 365+)

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the
likeness of his Son” (Romans 8:28-29)

Last year I read a news story about a young bride who called off her wedding twelve days before the date. Her parents had already paid the 50% deposit for an extravagant reception. Since it was completely non-refundable, the bride decided to go ahead with the celebration. Residents from a local homeless shelter were invited to party and dance with the bride’s family and friends for many hours. This generous gift had such an impact on the homeless families in their community it was reported days after the event the women still had happy tears in their eyes and the children were still dancing around.

Crystal Lewis has a song that goes like this: “He gives beauty for ashes / Strength for fear / Gladness for mourning / Peace for despair…” These lyrics were based on the biblical promise that one day Jesus will “bestow on [believers] a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair” (Isaiah 61:3). But the thing I sometimes forget is that I don’t have to wait for things to get better, for a future date, before I can celebrate. The bible declares God has already “seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2:6). Like the homeless people in the story, even in the midst of ashes, mourning, and despair… I’m already blessed! I’m invited to the wedding celebration (Revelation 19:9). God the Father has already worked out all the details. He has transformed a string of tragedies into a thing of beauty. The Church is dressed in a glorious bridal gown. And the Groom is waiting…

Jesus sees the Church as his beautiful bride. The meaning was unmistakable when he said, “In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am” (John 14:2-3). He was speaking as a young man speaks comfortingly and lovingly to his betrothed. Wow, it’s difficult for a bride not to respond to a love like that... or a believer not to respond to a Savior like that... As Joni said, “You can’t sit on a fence or put it off until later”. Today, as I'm typing this, God is working everything (all things good or bad) together for my good. How could I not cooperate or participate in his plans when he’s looking out for my well-being? How could I not say yes to his will?

Lord, I know your word attempts to paint images of a love which is infinitely deeper than I could ever imagine. I thank you with my whole heart for always watching over my family and I, and working things out for our ultimate good. May we learn to trust you more every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna