Thursday, February 4, 2010

Scattered Saints (#131 of 365+)

“Peter… writing to exiles scattered to the four winds. Not one is missing, not one forgotten” (1 Peter 1:1 MSG)

Peter opened his first letter with a greeting addressed to believers
who felt isolated, alone, as if they were strangers, or distant from the mainstream. Joni offered it could also include those who felt like “a nobody… no one of real importance”. Her choice of words was curious to me because just before beginning this morning’s devotional I talked to God about another enemy attack I received last night. I said, “Lord, I’m so tired… and I don’t get it. I’m not doing anything important. Why did I get attacked again?”

Today’s devotional and the rest of Peter’s greeting gave me a clearer understanding. Joni explained: “You are God’s elect, chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ. Did you get that? The entire Trinity—Father, Spirit, Son—is actively involved in your life. And that, my friend, puts you right in the center of the real action, the divine action of God’s universe. No matter where you live, no matter how humble your circumstances, you are God’s chosen. And you are deeply loved and treasured by your Creator.”

Long ago, an insignificant shepherd boy named David protected a flock from predators and came to know the loving Shepherd who protected him. God eventually made that boy a king. After he was delivered from murderous enemies, David spontaneously broke out into the following song. Notice how the words describe an event eerily similar to another event that would take place hundreds of years later (Peter’s experience walking on water with Jesus): “The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God... He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters” (2 Samuel 22:5-7, 17).

Stories like those of David and Peter remind us that every believer is extremely important to God and we’re never alone. He knows exactly what’s happening every moment of our lives. Dark forces hate us and want to sink our faith but even in the midst of life’s storms and enemy attacks we can be confident in God and shout, “The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom” (2 Timothy 4:18)!

Awesome Lord, it's beyond my comprehension that I've been on your mind since eternity past. Thank you for loving and choosing me, for saving me, and for giving me the gift of eternal life. May nothing hinder me from doing your will today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna