Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Silence (#109 of 365+)

I’m surrounded by noise pollution. All throughout the city there’s the sound of traffic, car alarms, sirens, airplanes, trains, power tools, lawnmowers, and barking dogs. Anywhere from the mall to
the gas station loudspeakers broadcast music and advertisements. While I’m driving I drown out the road “noise” by listening to my favorite music or talk radio. When I’m at home the television and the computer are pumping out even more noise. And all of this doesn’t even begin to include the people who surround me every day.

After enduring a power outage for an hour one of the first things I notice when the power comes back on is a buzzing sound. Even the light bulbs and the refrigerator contribute to the noise in my life!

The hymn Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence dates back to a 4th century Greek chant used by the early Church. The lyrics were based on the verse “Let all the earth be silent before him” (Habakkuk 2:20). Scholars believe it was a prayer the early believers reverently recited prior to taking part in the Holy Eucharist. Joni quoted the first stanza:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly minded,
For with blessing in His hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
Our full homage to demand.

It’s good for my soul to take respite from the noise of life and “ponder nothing earthly minded” for an hour or so at a time. By forcing my ears to listen to the silence I’m actually forcing my heart and mind to listen to what is usually drowned out by all the noise. As it was with Elijah, not until the wind, earthquake, and fire passed and there was silence did he hear the gentle voice of God (1 Kings 19:11-13).

I want to be a better listener, Lord. Help me to start today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna