Friday, January 15, 2010

A Borrowed Smile (#111 of 365+)

“For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy” (Psalm 63:7 NASB)

Joni and Friends television series offers honest answers to
people’s questions about God in the midst of pain and suffering. In Episode 1 - “I’d Rather Be In This Wheelchair Knowing Him” Joni allowed cameras to record just a glimpse at the morning routine she’s endured for over forty years. Joni confessed in today’s devotional that, at times, she doesn’t have the strength to face another morning. She is without the physical abilities that everyone else takes for granted, so a friend must do everything from bathing her, dressing her, sitting her up in the wheelchair, and brushing her hair and teeth. Between the moment her husband leaves for work and the hour her friend arrives at the house, she prays for God to give her strength and courage. When she doesn’t feel like smiling, she asks God if she can “borrow” his. She said, “I have learned… that the weaker we are, the harder we must lean on God. And the harder we lean on him, the stronger we discover him to be”.

Lord, I know I’m weak in so many ways. Help me not only in those areas but, as Joni prayed, also in the areas where I think I can do it all by myself. May I be conscious of your presence today and the strength, courage, and joy you readily offer in my moment of need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna