Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lifesaving Truth (#68 of 365+)

The other day my husband and I were talking about movies. He didn’t understand my strong aversion to zombie films since it fits into the apocalyptic genre and I’m an apocalypse enthusiast. I
hadn’t given much thought to why I had such distaste for zombie stories; I just rejected them instinctively. As we discussed it further we agreed that it wasn’t about death or disturbing images because the apocalypse and post-apocalypse stories I love always have those elements to some degree. Finally I realized the real reason I reject the zombie concept: Dead people can’t do anything.

“The body without the spirit is dead” (James 2:26)

Even as science claims that everything in existence is made up of physical matter, a living human body is much more than just a bunch of particles. There’s a living soul inside of it. There have been countless testimonials from people who were brought back to life. They could give detailed information about what occurred while they were legally dead. There was even one documented story about a person’s soul travelling several miles down the road to a relative’s house and overhearing a conversation that took place there. So, when a soul leaves the body and doesn’t return, there is absolutely nothing a doctor or a machine can do to reanimate it. The dead person will never get up and walk around again because dead people can’t do anything.

“As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins” (Ephesians 2:1)

Paul reminded the believers at Ephesus that they had once been spiritually dead and, since the dead can’t do anything, they were completely helpless until God came along and gave them life by his Spirit. As Joni heard Dr. R. C. Sproul once say, an unbeliever is “lying ‘flat-dead-drowned’ on the bottom of a pool under six feet of water.” A lifesaving God reaches into the water, pulls the body out, and breathes life into it. Once “quickened”, the person happily reaches up to embrace the Savior. That’s the gospel message.

“You did not choose me, but I chose you” (John 15:16)

“He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9)

“If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you” (Romans 8:11)

There was absolutely nothing I did or could do to contribute to God’s salvation. I didn’t even have the understanding or the faith to believe in him! He sent someone to share what the bible said and to tell me the gospel. “Faith comes from hearing the message” (Romans 10:17). God gets all the credit for saving my soul and giving me life. As a dead person I couldn’t do anything, but now that I’m alive in him “I can do everything” (Philippians 4:13).

Lord, thank you for what you did to save me from sin and give me life, so I could live with you forever! Fill me with more of your Spirit today so I can have the love to overlook transgressions and the faith to see through mountains. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna - this is Kim Schmidt from K-LOVE. Just checking out your blog today. I really enjoy your perspective and writing!

    ReplyDelete

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna