Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In Jesus’ Name (#67 of 365+)

“And I will do whatever you ask in my name… You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it” (John 14:13-14)

I agree with Joni when she says, “These are profound words from
the lips of Jesus.” It is only because Jesus made the way for me that I can boldly approach God’s throne and ask for anything at all. And, when I pray in the attitude of the Lord’s Prayer (only one out of six requests dealt with anything remotely related to non-spiritual things; Matthew 6:9-13) then he will honor it. Notice, he said “Give us this day our daily bread”—not “Let me win the lottery”.

This doesn’t mean God doesn’t want to hear about anything non-spiritual that’s on my heart. Everything that concerns me in any way has the potential to impact my spiritual life, so I should lay everything before him in prayer. The bible says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7) and “In everything… present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6). Also, my prayers never have to be perfect. God dearly loves to hear little children pray about the silliest things. I once prayed on Christmas Eve that I’d see Santa Claus! But when we’re grown he wants us to think with mature minds (1 Corinthians 14:20). So when we read that Jesus said, “I will do whatever you ask in my name” we know he isn’t guaranteeing a life free from troubles.

I want to make one final comment about praying in the name of Jesus. It seems there has been some controversy over whether military chaplains are allowed to pray in Jesus’ name because of separation of Church and State. I believe it is dangerous for government to impede upon matters of conscience, even though Christians should always respect authority. As Jesus’ answered those who tried to trick him with a question about taxes, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's” (Matthew 22:21). God help us if our government ever insists that Christians give to Caesar what is God’s.

I found this wonderful prayer under the prayer archive on the website of The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives at www.chaplain.house.gov. Notice how this pastor closes his prayer:

Reverend Matthew Southall Brown, Sr.
St. John Baptist Church
Savannah, GA
11/18/2009
Opening Prayer:
Our Father, we are confident that you are here in the midst of us, so we ask for your wisdom and courage for the members of this august body, as they face the challenges of this day. Lord, lead them, guide them in matters facing this nation and indeed the world. We live Lord, in a time when, "men are trying to war their way to peace, spend their way to wealth and enjoy their way to heaven." Lord, it is our prayer that each member of this House of Representatives be sensitive to your voice, the needs of the people of America and throughout the world. May the decisions made here be for the good of America and the world. Hasten the day when men will "beat their war tools into pruning hooks and study war no more." Finally Lord, we pray for our President, Barack Obama, his family and all leaders of this great nation. May this nation once again hear the words of the Lord Himself saying, "If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (II Chronicles 7:14) It is in the Name of him who said, "If I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men unto me." Amen.


Lord, thank you for giving me the privilege to pray with boldness. May I always show you the respect you deserve without injuring my witness to others. Give me the kind of wisdom Pastor Brown demonstrated in this matter. I pray for a reawakening, a sweeping revival, within our three branches of U.S. government. Eliminate obstacles so our leaders' souls may be saved and sanctified. I know you can do all things, and that you freely offer grace to anyone who will receive it. Help me to find other believers who share the same burden as I do to pray for our leaders in this way. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna