Friday, December 4, 2009

Deliver Us from Evil (#69 of 365+)

“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one” (Matthew 6:13)

I’ve been feeling weak for the past few days. Physically weak. A
couple of days ago I thought I had the flu because my entire body ached. It was the strangest thing: I didn’t have the strength or will to get out of the car when I picked up my son from school for his dental appointment! After prayer and a couple of Advil, the pain subsided but I still feel very weak in my muscles and joints, and my mind is tired all the time. I’m only 38. I’m too young to be feeling like this!

My husband says it’s is due to stress at work, but my workload isn’t really any worse than it has ever been. I have my own theories about the cause of my ailments. I believe I’m under a spiritual attack. Think about it: I’ve been doing my devotionals every day for two months, recently I started praying daily for the souls of our nation’s leaders, and this week my husband has been leading us in a daily family Christmas devotional. On Saturday night or early Sunday morning I had an intense vision specifically about the subject of prayer (I won’t go into details about it right now) but I’ve been feeling out of sorts ever since.

This is definitely not the time for me to ease up on what I’ve been doing, especially the prayer part. In fact, I should double up my efforts because now I’m more vulnerable than normal. As Joni said, “We are so weak, so inept and powerless in ourselves to stave off the wiles of the devil, that we must cast ourselves at all times on God for help. It is then in God’s strength—and God’s alone—that we become victorious”.

Today I will follow Joni’s advice and ask God for these specifics:
• To preserve and strengthen me through the Holy Spirit
• For specific guidance as I tiptoe through the minefield of the world, the flesh, and the devil
• To cause me to stand firm against every trap and snare
• For victory!

Lord, I need you desperately. Safeguard me, strengthen me, and guide me. I may feel helpless, but I know your word is always true and you said I can do all things through Christ. Help me stand firm and win this battle. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna