Thursday, October 1, 2009

Waiting in Prayer (#5 of 365+)

"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."" Psalm 5:3

In this morning's devotional, Joni told the story of a wheelchair
distribution trip to Peru. There was a twenty-five-year-old bedridden woman who had cerebral palsy and epilepsy since birth. Her brother carried her down the mountain that day, and the family had hopes that she would receive a wheelchair. Not only did she receive a wheelchair, but it was a highly customized chair they usually didn't take on those trips. And it fit her perfectly! Her mother cried "Gloria al Dios." It was an answer to twenty years of patient and eager prayer.

Wow, twenty years of praying for one thing?! I was saved in February 1986, almost 24 years ago, and I have never prayed for anything that long. I can't think of one thing that I've even prayed for a full week.

When it comes to seeking God's guidance, I tend to just shoot up one quick prayer asking God to put up road blocks if he doesn't want me to do something, and then I go ahead full force with whatever I feel is right. On the other hand, the thought of praying for God's provision brings to mind an image of near-starved pilgrims before the first Thanksgiving and quite frankly it makes me feel uneasy. I should examine my heart some more in this area... Don't get me wrong, I recognize that it is God's provision whenever something good comes into my life. And, being an American of the conservative slant, I believe in self-sufficiency and I am blessed with a fairly decent quality of life. I have never been so hard-pressed that I didn't have options. But I think of times in our nation's history like the Great Depression, when people suddenly went from prosperity to poverty, and I wonder about the people who turned their backs on God. How would my prayer life change if things took a turn for the worst? If I had to wait years for an answer?

Lord, I am grateful for the abundance of provisions my family and I enjoy every day. Show me how to model patient and eager prayer in front of my son so he can fully develop this habit before he leaves home. Guide me in every decision I make today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna