Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Jesus' Social Life (#10 of 365+)

Being brought up in a military family afforded me the opportunity to move around a lot and meet all kinds of people. At an early age I developed the ability to make friends with anyone without
regard to skin color or social status. I was often drawn to "the underdog" and didn't care much about winning a popularity contest because I was only passing through.

Today, I have very few close friendships and my social life disappeared when I got married last year. (I don't mind at all because my husband is my best friend). The company I work for employs hundreds of people and that is where most of my social interaction occurs. Because it is a work environment I must maintain some level of professional distance from other employees. However, I must give off a weird vibe because 1) immoral activity is rampant there but people go out of their way to hide it from me, and 2) the underdog goes out of his/her way to seek me out. Two recent underdogs come to mind. The first one is a man who some people assume is mentally challenged because he has a speech impediment but he is actually brilliant and has a servant's heart. The other one is a young lady who gave up stripping over a year ago and although most employees know about her past she yearns to make a better life and is faithful to her husband.

This morning's devotional struck me to heart. Referring to the verse, "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost" (Luke 19:10) Joni explained how Jesus befriends the mentally ill man and the woman with a loose moral reputation. He connects with outsiders. He attends a party with lowlifes. He starts a relationship with a conniving tax collector. And their lives were changed forever!! He loved them all and knew they suffered from the same human disease: They were missing a relationship with him.

I need to reach out to people like that because I know this Jesus Christ and I can introduce them to him.

Lord, I remember the day you sent someone to find me and bring me to you. I also want to actively seek those who are lost. Open doors of opportunity for me to share the good news and give me the right words to say. Make me more sensitive to the spiritual yearning behind their words and actions. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna