Sunday, September 27, 2009

Job's Trials (#1 of 365+)

Ah, Sunday morning... Alarm clocks across the room or beside the bed don't work well for me, so last night I put my cell phone under my pillow. The loud and vibrating alarm did the trick. I
awoke, shut it off, offered a silent prayer of thanks to God, and then went back to sleep... I only got up a few minutes later because I couldn't ignore my bladder any longer. I put on my fluffy pink robe and took care of business. Then, after I gave my husband Advil, vitamin C, and a little snuggle time (he has an awful cold), and after I took our doggies out and gave them food and water, I finally set up at the edge of the kitchen table for my first of 365+ daily devotionals.

My fashionable red pocket NIV -- Check.
Joni's devotional book -- Check.
My trusty netbook, turned on, and browsers pointed to K-LOVE's Media Player and my blog -- Check. Check.

No need to get too deep into the details, but the Lord and I had a good meeting this morning. I started off with prayer and worship, and I had a good cry during Nicole C. Mullen's song "Redeemer". Joni's devotional today was totally appropriate for this occasion because it reminded me that no other believer in the history of mankind (not even me) has ever suffered as much loss as Job did in a single day. Joni said, "God permitted what he hated, to accomplish something he loved: the worship of a wiser Job."

Dear Lord, I need to trust your judgment and let you be the driver of my life. I am so focused on the current route we're on (avoid that pothole! watch that other driver! can't we go any faster?!) that I forget we're heading towards a wonderful destination together. Help me to take my eyes off the road ahead, play some music, and just enjoy your company. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna