Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Exaltation of Christ (#3 of 365+)

My husband awoke at approximately 3:00 a.m. to the sound of our male dog, a Shih Tzu, scratching at a door. Experience told him what that sound meant. He quickly arose and let him out to
take care of business.

The little fellow (he isn't a puppy, mind you) decided this was a good time to test boundaries and he ran around the corner out of sight. My husband only had on his drawers so, being a decent human being, he ran back inside to put on more clothes. By now his adrenalin was pumping but he must have sensed my quizzical look in the dark because he offered a hasty explanation (which I completely misunderstood) and then he rushed back outside to retrieve the disobedient child.

Reading Joni's words this morning, and Philippians 2:9-11, I'm reminded that dogs aren't the only ones who must submit to their Master. Our Shih Tzu's excursion was the perfect picture of my heart's tendency to rebel against authority, power, and control. As Joni said, "...everyone will eventually agree that Jesus is Lord. They will do so willfully and happily, or unwillingly and painfully. But they'll do it... everyone will acknowledge Jesus as rightful Ruler of the universe, never to be contested again. What a glorious day that will be!"

Father, I look forward to the day when all of creation will celebrate the crowning of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. May I bow my knee in submission to you every day. Help me to also have the same attitude of willing submission towards people who have authority over areas of my life. May my words and actions bring glory to your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna