Friday, September 17, 2010

Somebody’s Watching (#356 of 365+)

“His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 3:10)


I think the phrase “heavenly realms” appears a total of five times in the New Testament and they’re all in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. He must have felt an incredible need to emphasize both the reality and the significance of the unseen spiritual world that surrounds us. It’s probably because we Christians tend to continue living a boring, habitual two-dimensional life when God meant for it to be a deeply satisfying, High-Def 3D experience! That’s why he gave us his Holy Spirit, so we wouldn’t have to wait for Heaven. Eternal life can start right now.

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this reality: I’m actually, right now, at this very moment… living in this world and in the next one… at the same time. Paul said “in the heavenly realms” believers have already been “seated” with Christ (Ephesians 2:6) and we have already received “every spiritual blessing” that will ever be received (Ephesians 1:3). No matter what’s going on in this physical realm today at work or at home, in my country or across the globe—I’m personal friends with the Who’s Who of the universe and I’m sitting next to him at a banquet that’s being held in his honor. I’m incredibly rich beyond compare!

In Ephesians 3:10, Paul was speaking from the viewpoint of angels and demons he called “rulers and authorities.” When a person comes alive because of salvation through Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, God puts his “manifold wisdom” on full display and those same spirit beings react as though a soul has just been:
  • ushered into the throne room of God (Isaiah 6:1)
  • seated at the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:9)
  • crowned ceremoniously (James 1:12, Revelation 2:10)
The presence of God’s Spirit in me makes angels rejoice and demons shudder. As a Christian if I walk by eyesight alone I can’t be surprised when the the enemy succeeds in distracting me with yesterday’s pain and today’s problems. But the more I walk in the Spirit and in the Word of God, the more the invisible reality that I described previously starts to unfold before my very eyes. It’s like waking up to a healthy perspective of the future called living by faith. I wonder: When will the truth sink in deep enough so I stop falling for lies and start living every moment as though I believe the Lord?

“There is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10)

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12)

Father God, no matter who is watching me today I thank you that you are ever watchful of my soul. As Zephaniah wrote: You’re with me, You’re mighty to save, You take great delight in me, You quiet me with your love, and You rejoice over me with your song. It really blows my mind how you love me more than a parent could love his or her newborn baby! Draw me ever closer to your loving heart. May I help usher someone else into your throne room soon. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna