Friday, August 13, 2010

Forgiving God? (#321 of 365+)

“While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, ‘Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck
the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!’ At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship… In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing” (Job 1:18-20, 22)

The other day my teenage son and I had a heart-to-heart talk because he had been having a rough time and I was really concerned about his internal struggles. During that talk he told me in all honesty that he was angry that God had “given” him diabetes.

He said he hates being diabetic. He can’t eat what he wants, when he wants. He can’t live a carefree lifestyle like all his friends can. He has to stick to a strict schedule and a balanced diet as prescribed by his doctor. He has to track his blood glucose levels and record everything he puts into his body. He has to take four insulin shots per day and remain physically active. Even when he does everything perfectly his blood glucose level won’t always stay within a healthy range for physiological reasons we’re still trying to understand. It’s so frustrating when he craves something he shouldn’t eat or he still feels hungry after a meal or a snack.

Joni chose the verses from Job’s example today to teach that God never needs our forgiveness. He never does anything wrong! In our sinfulness or because of raw emotions we might try to accuse or blame God of not being good—but he’s always good, no matter what we think. Even when we don’t understand or agree with him, he is well within his right as GOD to do anything he wants. We just have to accept it.

“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart” (Hebrews 12:3)

While my son suffers through his teen years as a diabetic, or while I suffer as I watch my son suffer, it will help us both to keep in mind what happened at the cross. God the Father never stopped being good or just while he allowed his sinless Son to be tortured and die a painful death. But the Messiah hanging from a cross was definitely a stumbling block for everyone who had been expecting a king or general. Nobody could fathom the Father’s motivation or the plans in his heart during that dark hour. But hindsight is 20/20. We now know and understand. We thank God for what he did.

When I’m mad at God it isn’t because he’s wrong—it’s because I don’t trust him. The sin of unbelief comes in many forms and it has a way from tripping me up and preventing me from moving forward for his kingdom. I can’t ever let that happen.

“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:1-2)

Lord, I believe in you. Help my unbelief. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna