Wednesday, July 7, 2010

God Weeping (#284 of 365+)

“Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)

The Bible says we have a high priest who feels empathy (Hebrews 4:15) and cries real tears. My Lord isn’t oblivious—he is intimately acquainted with
what’s going on in my heart and in my mind at all times. He shares my pain, difficulties, turmoil, and grief. He knows when my faith is being attacked. If I wanted to express the psalmist’s words in more modern terms I’d say, “You've kept track of my every toss and turn through the sleepless nights, each tear entered in your ledger, each ache written in your book” (Psalm 56:8 MSG). God does take notice and truly cares about every detail of my life.

Like Joni taught in yesterday’s devotional, I may have a narrow lens but the Lord is equipped with a wide-angle lens. I need to trust him when he allows inexplicable events to happen to me or my loved ones. One day everything will make perfect sense. When he shows me the outcomes, the product, of all my life’s circumstances I will forget why I ever had any questions, doubts, or regrets. I’ll probably cry a few happy tears of my own as I realize he was with me through each hardship and heartache, all the while designing this beautiful “mosaic” as a lasting testimony of his goodness and faithfulness throughout eternity.

Lord God, you are worthy of all glory and honor. Jesus, my heart is deeply blessed that you’re acquainted with all our ways. You know what it’s like to live in this body, to walk in these shoes, and to cry real tears of grief or joy. May I remember that the next time I cry out to you with a heart full of anguish. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna