Saturday, May 8, 2010

Rejoice Always! (#224 of 365+)

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4)

As Paul was once again locked behind bars for preaching the
gospel, he exhorted the Philippian believers to rejoice no matter what. His words were powerful because he had first-hand knowledge of the struggles and circumstances they were experiencing.

The city of Philippi was completely loyal to Rome and their Jewish community was so small they didn’t even have a synagogue. Their gathering place for prayer was a spot by the river (Acts 16:12-13).

Upon Paul’s first visit to their city, he had sought out the Jews and shared the gospel with a hospitable Jewish woman named Lydia who became one of the church leaders. He and Silas had also cast out a demon from a slave girl and received a severe flogging and imprisonment without trial for their troubles. God managed to use the bad for good by sending an earthquake to release them from prison. They chose not to escape but stayed behind so the jailer’s entire household could hear the gospel and be converted (Acts 16).

However, even with the initial victories, Philippi still worshipped the Roman Caesar and their laws were in direct opposition to the gospel message.

Paul’s firm command to “Rejoice!” (with an exclamation mark) echoed the way Jesus spoke to his disciples when he said: “Take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33) and “Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you… because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven” (Luke 6:22-23).

Both the apostle Paul and the Lord Jesus had experienced what the Philippians were going through with Rome. But Paul gently reminded the believers that even though he was imprisoned in another city they should be mindful of where the Lord was at that very moment.

“The Lord is near” (Philippians 4:5)

When I live inside the limitations of space and time I can always find something to grumble about, but when I listen to God’s description of my life I realize how “blessed” and rich I really am. Like the Philippians, I too can “rejoice!” and “take heart!” (with exclamation marks) because the Lord says he has already “overcome” all my circumstances.

Lord, you know the circumstances that tend to bring me down. May I learn to lean more on your wisdom. Help me rejoice, at all times, no matter what. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna