Friday, May 14, 2010

Jerry’s Place (#230 of 365+)

Joni said that Jerry, her secretary’s husband, passed away the same year she wrote this devotional book. Francie, like any other widow, wants to keep the memory of him alive. But the sad truth
is the world will eventually continue on as if Jerry never existed. Even Ecclesiastes 9:5 says, “For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.”

“As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more” (Psalm 103:15-16 KJV)

I think everyone wants to be remembered or leave behind some kind of a legacy. Joni called it wanting to have a place in this world—so when you die you’ll leave behind more than just a carbon footprint. She said Jesus addressed that need to have a place of our own when he said the word “place” three times in the following verses: “In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going” (John 14:2-4).

Even if they don’t write about me in the history books, I know the Lord has written my name in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Even if the entire world economy plummets tomorrow, I know the Lord has personally reserved a seat for me at the marriage supper of the Lamb. After this world passes away I will have a place in eternity near Jesus that will always be filled with love, joy, and meaning.

Lord Jesus, you once said foxes and birds have homes but You didn’t have any place to lay your head... Thank you for all that you sacrificed so my soul could have eternal life and find rest in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna