Monday, May 24, 2010

Chris’s Poem (#240 of 365+)

Chris, Joni’s young friend, has bravely battled cerebral palsy all his life. Now he’s facing another challenge—the college experience—which influences an overwhelming majority of
Christian youth to discard their faith in Christ after they’ve graduated from high school. He wrote the following poem:
“Do you know what I am… do you understand

the severity sealed in clarity of my failure as your child

no longer meek and mild, but tainted and perverted

by the sins now burdened upon my heart… as evidence of the prevalence

that Darkness has in me… my arrogance has not been Free

I wander now at the cost of walking forever lost

but even now, I’m led to bow my head and pray

though I have no right to say

I’m sorry, Lord.

And it’s a wonder that your grace gets under

all my rotting skin and takes the sin off my heart

because I’m to be a part of your Family above

because I am one that Jesus gave his all that I might not fall

head first into the abyss of condemned… insignificance.”
“How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O LORD my God” (Psalm 13:2-3)

When I look at Chris’s example I wonder how I could ever complain about anything. I’ll be facing some obstacles and difficulties this week but I don’t have to overcome a disability at the same time! He may have faltered in his walk but I can tell that his faith and endurance are going to be stronger than ever now. As long as Chris remembers the Spirit of God is always with him he will find the purpose and meaning that we’re all searching for.

“Do everything without complaining… so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God” (Philippians 2:14-15)

Lord, thank you for opening my eyes and helping me to believe when I start to doubt. Make your light shine so bright in me that others will also see and believe that your word is true. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna