Sunday, April 18, 2010

Peter Alone (#204 of 365+)

“Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest's courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the
door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the girl on duty there and brought Peter in. ‘You are not one of his disciples, are you?’ the girl at the door asked Peter. He replied, ‘I am not.’” (John 18:15-17)

During supper Peter made the bold claim that he would be faithful to Jesus to the point of death. To everyone’s surprise the Lord predicted Peter would deny him three times before the rooster crowed the following morning (John 13:38). Joni said the worst part about his first denial was that he wasn’t interrogated by “a Roman soldier, powerful official, or a priest at the temple.” He was intimidated by a simple question posed by a servant girl.

Peter gave in to the pressure of his own fears. Why was he fearful now when back in the garden he sliced off someone’s ear protecting Jesus from being arrested? Because everything changed when the Lord told him not to fight but to yield to God’s will. That’s when Peter high-tailed it out of there and abandoned the Lord.

As a Christian I can be tempted to forsake the Lord because of my own fear or pride. I probably would never say, “No, I don’t know Jesus Christ” but that’s the message my actions might communicate. Joni advised that we should never believe we’re stronger than we really are. We should avoid situations like Peter found himself in that would make us especially vulnerable. Like the following:

• Being alone without another believer.
• Being in a crowd of non-believers.

Lord, I thank you that I’m never alone. I always have you, I have my family, and I have the fellowship of other believers. May I learn to use all the resources available to me now so when pressures begin to mount I’ll faithfully stay the course. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna