Saturday, April 17, 2010

More Bible Lessons (#203 of 365+)

Yesterday Joni taught that mediating on God’s word and allowing time for self-reflection (getting quiet so I can hear from the Holy Spirit) are the best ways to gain a “godly perspective” when I’m
struggling with painful or difficult circumstances. There are numerous reasons why God might allow suffering so she provided the following verses to shed a light on some of the possibilities:

I’ll develop character
“We… rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope” (Romans 5:3-4)

I’ll steer clear of sin (next time)
“Some became fools through their rebellious ways and suffered affliction because of their iniquities” (Psalm 107:17)

I’ll learn obedience and self-control
“Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word” (Psalm 119:67)

When I arrive at the point of “embracing God’s will” for my life then the following verses will take my understanding to a new level. They teach how hardships aren’t always about me.

The struggle against evil
“The wicked draw the sword and bend the bow to bring down the poor and needy, to slay those whose ways are upright. But their swords will pierce their own hearts, and their bows will be broken” (Psalm 37:14-15)

The struggle for the kingdom of God
“God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you” (2 Thessalonians 1:6)

The struggle for the gospel
“Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained” (2 Timothy 2:8-9)

When I’m feeling tired, weary, overwhelmed, or disappointed the Spirit can strengthen my resolve through Bible verses like these. He’ll remind me there’s always a higher purpose behind my experiences. Even as I rest assured that he’ll always remain faithful and my salvation is secure, I can also look forward to God’s gracious “bonus”: the Bema Seat of judgment for believers.

Jesus will reward those who endure
“If we endure, we will also reign with him” (2 Timothy 2:12)

“How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands” (Psalm 119:9-10)

Lord, you are my eternal reward. Apply these truths to my heart and help me live for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna