Monday, March 1, 2010

Mangled Earrings (#156 of 365+)

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Joni once accidentally ran over one of her favorite earrings with
her wheelchair. It was mangled beyond repair but the good news was the jeweler was able to hammer the smooth one into an exact match. The final product was “a unique designer original: a pair of crinkled gold earrings that reflected even more light than before”.

The Bible says I am “God's workmanship” (Ephesians 2:10)—a valuable work of art. I was nothing but a dead block of wood, a piece of rock, a sheet of metal, etc. etc. etc. until the Master Artist brought me to life. His chiseling, hammering, buffing and sanding away of my fleshly characteristics will serve to make me a better reflection of my Lord Jesus Christ. Like Joni said, the process will be painful as my “hopes or dreams… [are] smashed”. But she offers encouragement to “agree with God” on what my hopes and dreams should be, and “hold on to his wisdom and grace through the hammering”. Things will turn out better than I can envision.

Lord, you alone can make nothing into something. You alone can bring the dead to life. Everything becomes a beautiful masterpiece in your hands. I am in awe of you, the Creator who knit me together in my mother’s womb… May I yield to your Spirit’s transforming work within me as I go through this week. Prepare my heart and mind for what’s up ahead. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An encouragement, a simple prayer, or a pithy observation... I would appreciate hearing from you. May God richly bless your day! ~Joanna